Saturday, May 29, 2010

Vacation Training

I went to Kansas a couple weeks ago for a graduation and then we stayed the whole next week for a wedding that was on the following Saturday.

Probably the hardest thing I've encountered so far in my trek to be healthy was my vacation. We went out to eat WAY more and I think every night we went out with friends and I had a couple beers (bad for the belly).

How can we stay "not fat" on vacation? Watching our calories per week instead of per day. Right, wrong, or indifferent (I'm sure you're doctor told you to eat 6 small meals a day, I don't care) if I knew I was going to go out to eat for dinner I didn't eat breakfast and I had a small lunch (half a sandwich or a granola bar). I try to keep my calories between 1500 calories daily during vacation so that I don't have to exercise as much, normally I'm around 2000 daily.

Other than that I ran two short runs while I was there and enjoyed a lot of walking around.

I think if we exercise regularly, our bodies are almost set in motion to continue burning that kind of energy.

If you're driving 60 mph and you need to scratch your foot, you can afford to take your foot of the gas for a few seconds without the car screeching to a halt. Likewise with exercise. If you take a break for a week and get back to it the next week, you won't really see much of a difference (and you'll enjoy vacation more).

Maybe that week just hasn't caught up to me yet... we shall see.


No comments:

Post a Comment